Baby Hermann Tortoise

I have a new pet.  We've been calling him "Stretch" (we think it's a boy).  He arrived June 5th and was already about 2 weeks old.
I think he is adorable and I took lots of little videos of him.  He has already grown a lot.

He soaks in a shallow dish everyday to keep hydrated.

 When he is done, he climbs out and goes to search for some tasty foods.




 He likes Pansy flowers and leaves "as a part of a Varied diet"
 I uncovered his "Hideout", he was asleep in his humid burrow.  (He'll often dig into the dirt to sleep)
 I love watching him walk around... his hind legs are especially cute.

Stretch coming out of his Humid Hide

 His diet includes the 'Common Mallow' weed (or Cheese Weed) and the 'Plantain Weed'.
 He is really small but growing, he is just over 1 and a half inches long.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my heck! That is the most adorable little thing ever! I'm glad he arrived in the mail safely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's so cute!! I had no idea he was that small. I had 2 turtles growing up - there names were Vern and Joey. They were a lot of fun and a lot faster than you would think. Jake said you decided it may be a girl - did you end up changing the name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh...cheese weeds. I liked those to as a kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are still deciding on names. We are trying out some Greek or Roman names like Athena, Aphrodite, Hera, Hestia. ( Her origins are from that area of the world.)

    ReplyDelete